Sunday, August 1, 2010

Rockin' for the Troops!

The time had finally come! A few months earlier I had ordered tickets and a few Saturdays ago the day was finally here. We packed up lawn chairs, coolers, sun screen, and hats and set out into the beautiful sunny day ... ignoring the fact that it was predicted to be the hottest and most humid day of the summer so far .... 100 degrees or more.  "We'll be fine!" we said ... thinking how bad can it be it's a huge beautiful park with LOTS of trees, we've been there many times and it's always wonderful! We drove about five minutes from my house to Cantigny Park in Wheaton, Illinois.  Our timing was perfect ... got in line at the gates just moments before they opened at noon to let in a very limited number of cars which could park on-site (others had to park in two remote locations and take a shuttle to the park).

We made it!!  We were at the Rockin' for the Troops 2010 concert with Gary Sinise & The Lt. Dan Band!!  I was going to see my favorite TV actor (from CSI: NY .... up close and personal!)  We staked out our spot so we could see the stage and one of the jumbo-trons they set up in the area. We knew the main performance wouldn't begin until 8:30 pm or so .... but we took books, ipods, knitting (for me), and we knew there would be lots of things to enjoy in the park until then. There was always something happening on stage or on the jumbo TV.  Cantiny is a beautiful 500 acre estate donated to the community by the late Colonel Robert R. McCormick. There are spectacular gardens to explore and two fascinating museums to visit: the McCormick family home and gardens and a World War I First Infantry Division Museum along with several WW I tanks for the kids to climb on!

Oh yes, it was very hot but it didn't dampen our spirits!! Past attenders of this event brought umbrellas to shade the sun ... we'll know next time!!  At one point in the afternoon I said, "I would give my first born grandchild for an umbrella"! Then I felt a punch in the arm ... she was sitting next to me :-) We managed to stay as cool as possible while we wandered around the park, visited the sponsor's booths and bought cold drinks and food from the vendors. Needless to say ... I didn't knit a stitch ... way too hot for that!

As the afternoon progressed the crowds grew and American flags were every where! (I did know enough to bring some flags with us!).  The concert was a benefit for the programs of Operation Support Our Troops - Illinois  (http:www.osotil.org).  This was the fifth year for their charity event and the fifth year that Gary Sinise had appeared.  As I looked around at many of the thousands of people and saw their t-shirts, hats, and patriotic gear, I realized how many were veterans & their families,  families of those currently serving serving in the military, as well as current service men and women.  Frankly, I knew nothing about OSOTIL until that day.  I was there because I like Gary Sinise.  I can tell you after that day my eyes were opened in a new way about our troops, their needs & how important it is to support them overseas as well as at here at home.

 
The opening ceremonies were conducted,  two other awesome bands that dedicate their time to supporting our troops in the US, Iraq & Afghanistan played long sets, and finally Gary Sinise and Lt. Dan Band was on stage!!  Everyone went wild .. standing, clapping, singing and dancing for most of the 2 hour show!! After their final number and long thunderous applause they returned to the stage to play an encore of 7 or 8 songs which lasted for 30 minutes!!!

It was an awesome show ... but what touched my heart were the words that Gary spoke to the crowd at the end. "Our troops need us to keep them strong in this tough battle they are in. I have traveled to many military bases and have spent a lot of time with troops and their families. They are sacrificing so much and need to know that you and I care about them.  They are stretched to their max and we on the home front have the responsibility to do all that we can to ensure that they know that we have not forgotten about them so that they stay strong and come home safely,"

I went to Cantigny Park that day to attend a popular concert with an actor I love watching on TV ....  and I left that night with a renewed respect for him AND a renewed commitment to remember our troops and their families and to make an effort to find a tangible way to help!!   It was a great day that I will not soon forget!      jp

No comments: